Sunday, July 17, 2011

Say Ye-ye-ye-ye-yes to Vuh-vuh-vuh-V-B-S!

This year was Silas's 2nd to attend Vacation Bible School at our church. Last year, he was a bed baby and got rocked everyday all day. It was baby bliss.

*None of my pictures are edited and some are pictures of pictures from my back door. Hey, I have to work quickly before Si's nap is over!

VBS 2010
Babies from L to R: Paxton, Cooper, Silas, Susanna, Hadley

Silas's first VBS Picture! (Western theme)
 
Sometime, at about the age of 7 months, Silas began to hate church. As soon as we would pull into the parking lot, he would begin crying. Once he got a little older, he would cry and plead, "No! Please! No! Please! No! No! Please!" until we dropped him off. Talk about breaking a parent's heart! Then, he would continue to cry until his wonderful teachers could get him distracted and calmed down.We tried everything. The "Goodbye, I love you," the patented "Drop and Run," and even the "Look! Here is a ball!" Nothing could curb the meltdown. Can we say separation anxiety?

Well, when time for VBS rolled around this year, I was determined Silas was going- like it or not. Honestly, he had to go the first 2 days since Richard had basketball practice and I was volunteering, but I was determined that he would attend all week because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting the t-shirt with his footprints and craft bag at the end of the week! Selfish on my part...maybe. :) (I am telling you, our preschool teachers are so amazing! They do adorable crafts with everyone from bed babies on up!) Richard was anti. He said there was no reason to torture him. I over-ruled. (HELLO!!! THE T-SHIRT!!)


So the first day of VBS rolled around. Even after much pep talking of how much Jesus loves him, how Mommy always comes back to get him, how he would get to see his friends Cooper, Susanna, Hadley, Paxton, and Joshua, and how many balls there are to play with in his classroom, Silas lost it. He cried from the parking lot until I picked him up at lunch. Poor little buddy just couldn't get it together. I felt bad, but the adorable, foot-printed  t-shirt was still calling my name. (I did realize once we got home that he missed his morning snack and goldfish just weren't cutting it.)

Mrs. Amy and Silas

Day 2- Silas arrives armed with a banana and yogurt for snack. We enter the lobby. Tears and screams commence. Thankfully, his teacher, Mrs. Amy, scooped him away quickly. I think he finally quit crying once they took him on the tractor ride. This baby loves to ride, and he loves tractors/wagons. It was a win-win! Also on this day, they decided to split Silas's class. Cooper, Hadley and Paxton were in one room. Silas, Susanna, and Joshua were in the other. Laura Ashley and I decided it was because they didn't want two screaming babies (ie: Si and Coop) in the same room again! Ha!

Cooper, Mrs. Dianne, and Silas

On the third and fourth days, Silas put up a fuss only once I got him to his classroom door. It was terribly sad because as I was holding him, I could feel the cry formulate all the way from his toes until it reached his mouth. He then proceeded to wail for about 15 minutes until he noticed the balls and his buddies.


What happened on Day 5 can only be deemed a miracle. Silas shed no tears!!!! He went straight into the arms of Mrs. Dianne, pointed to the sheep on the wall, told her what it was, and made it's sound. I couldn't believe it! It did momentarily make me slightly sad, but I quickly got over that and skipped along to meet my 4 year olds.


After VBS shock therapy, Silas has not shed a tear about or at church since! He goes right to Mrs. Jessica each Sunday morning. When you tell him we are going to church he begins naming his friends, and when we pick him up, he greets us with a huge smile and a hug! What a blessing!

Silas's class 2011
L to R: Susanna, Mrs. Amy, Joshua, Mrs. Dianne, and Silas

Coveted Crafts from 2011 = One happy Mommy!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love the t-shirt. Nice work on toughing it out. It was definitely worth it. You guys conquered a lot :)