Monday, July 11, 2011

Granny Armstrong turns 90!

We were so blessed to celebrate a wonderful birthday with Granny Armstrong this weekend. Silas lovingly calls her Irene. She turned an ever so young 90 on Sunday!


There was a grand weekend of festivities. Everything began with a delicious cookout on Saturday. It was great to see so many family members and have them all under the same roof. Silas hadn't seen many of them in a long time.


Silas and Granddaddy- Ok, so they do see each other frequently.

Tori and Silas
This is only the 2nd time they have seen each other, but Silas points to her picture and says, "Tori!" everyday.

Granny Irene with her children, Uncle Jerry and Grandmother

Aunt Doris with Silas

Silas, Aunt Doris, and Aunt Mary

All of the great-grandchildren
Back: Tori, Jonathan, Erik, Zachary
Middle: Sara Grace, Megan, Will
Front: Granny and Silas

Of course, no birthday is complete without cake, and Granny got two! (You go to certain extremes for someone reaching 90. I mean, it is a big deal!)


Granny got some wonderful gifts and very sweet cards. We actually helped to get her a digital picture frame so all of her pictures from her albums can be on display. She loved it!

The celebration continued with lunch at the Blue Plate on Sunday. I didn't bring my camera for this, but we had a blast. Granny was surprised with a humongus chocolate sundae. I wish I had been able to take a picture of the genuine surprise on her face.

We are so blessed that instead of living far away in Luverne, Granny now lives with Richard's parents. When I am working, Si gets to spend every day with her. I am so thankful that he has that time to spend with such a special person. He loves Irene and so do we! Happy Birthday Granny!

1 comment:

molly b. said...

Happy Birthday, Granny! I love that Silas calls her Irene. And him telling the cow No Mam?! I laughed out loud! I miss you, Jennings! That's one handsome son you've got. xoxo