Sunday, March 6, 2011

In a cabin in the woods...



Rewind to May 2010: I am sitting at my parents' house enjoying a nice Saturday with my beautiful 1 month old bundle of joy, and I receive the following phone call.

Richard- Hey! Guess what? I WON! I WON!
Me- You won?
Richard- YES! I WON!
Me- You won what?
Richard- A MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION!!
Me- A majestice mountain vacation?
Richard- YES! A MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION!
Me- WOOHOO!!! How did you win that?
Richard- Well, I bought it.
Me- You did what?!?!
Richard- Remember me telling you about that auction at school? Well, one of the items up for bid was a MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION AND I WON!!!
Me- How much did you win it for, dear? We have a 1 month old and I am on maternity leave.
Richard- Well... it only cost $xxx.xx but normally it would have cost so much more than that and it sleeps about a million people and it is extremely nice and it has a pool table and air hockey and a jacuzzi and we can take Silas and it was such a good deal and I would have gotten it for less if Mr. Steed hadn't started a bidding war but I WON A MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION!! Oh yeah, I wrote a check.
Me- I can't believe you did that.
Richard- How are you not excited?! I WON!!! I love these auction things. We should really start going to more of these.
Me- Oh no. I don't like peanut butter and jelly and we have to buy diapers, lots of diapers.
Richard- What?
Me- I don't like peanut butter and jelly and we have to buy lots of diapers.
Richard- I don't know what you are talking about.
Me- I don't want to eat peanut butter and jelly and have Silas naked and diaperless because we have to pay for a Majestic Mountain Vacation.
Richard- Jenn, I am not sure why you are not more excited about this! Do you hear what I am saying? We are going on a MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION because I WON!!! I ACTUALLY WON!!!
Me (tearfully)- I am glad you won, babe. Looks like we are going to the mountains.

It turns out that even though my husband "won" a Majestic Mountain Vacation in a cabin that sleeps a million for a measly $xxx.xx, I never had to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and my son always had plenty of diapers. In a post-baby hormonal state, I slightly overreacted (and so did my overly excited husband who had just won a Majestic Mountain Vacation.)

Fast forward to January 2011: I tell my principal that I am taking a Majestic Mountain Vacation during the peak of SAT prep season because my husband, the basketball coach and PE teacher, decided to schedule it after basketball season but forgot about his wife the elementary school teacher who was in her crunch time. I tried to bribe Mrs. M with a scrumptious brownie (nevermind the fact that her husband baked it and she brought it to school) and with a semi-frown and a nod, her exact quote was, "Well, I guess you'll just have to work that much harder." As if there already wasn't enough pressure. The good news: my children work really hard and I am going on a MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN VACATION!

Jump to February 2011- Majestic mountains here we come! Our friends, the Blakeneys, decided to experience the Smokies with us. Since they also have a baby, the husbands decided to rent a van so we could all ride together, drive all night Tuesday night and arrive in the mountains Wednesday morning. The premise was that the babies would sleep the entire trip. Yeah. Right.

Picture this- Procrastinator me planning sub lesson plans for 3 days of lessons including small group reteaching plans, packing for three, one being a 10 month old who eats like a 350 lb grown man, being told that there is limited space in the van so be sparing, funeralizing our humble abode and having our first Bible study at 7 when we plan to leave at 9. Slight stress. When I left for Bible study I gave Richard specific instructions not to leave without sweeping the kitchen floor and most definitely not to forget Murdock the frog. (Allen, Silas, and Richard were packing our stuff in the van and picking LA, Cooper, and me up from the Blackneys after Bible study- yes LA hosted Bible study the night we were leaving for our Majestic Mountain Vacation. Props to her.)

When the loaded van arrived to grab the 3 of us, Silas was in the back seat screaming to the top of his lungs. Richard looked at me with an encouraging smile to remind me of the Majestic Mountain Vacation that was coming our way in a few short hours. As we climbed in and took our seats, Cooper was wimpering because he had just been snatched from his bed, and my knees were up to my ears- by "pack sparingly" I figured they meant only 3-4 super large bags per member of the household. Because of my slight miscalculation, I rode to the mountains propped on a toy bag, diaper bag, laptop, camera, video camera, clutch, a pillow and my Bible study book. Oh, and did I mention Silas was still crying? His crying encouraged Cooper's crying, and I figured we were in for a long, long trip. Si did finally quit about 10 minutes into the trip when he realized he was not getting back into his bed and that he did like his carseat.

219,342,576,238 hours later, we arrived in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. I will pick up with our arrival on the next post. Stay tuned!



No comments: